Eggplant Curry with Japanese Curry Roux

This was Eggplant Curry made with Japanese Curry Roux. And cherry tomato, orange bell pepper and broccoli salad with white wine vinaigrette.

Curry may be one of top five children's favorite dishes in Japan. At least it was when I was a child, and I was a child who liked curry, I mean, Japanese style curry. It commonly cooked with chunky beef and vegetables such as carrot, onion, potato in thicken sauce made from curry "roux" sold in a box everywhere in Japan.

When J and I visited Japan last year, I thought much more various kinds of curry roux are seen at a grocery store than before. Since I had not made Japanese style curry for years, we bought a box of curry roux to try when we come back to the US. This was the day to try the roux. I wanted to make vegetable curry, so added eggplant, carrot, and onion. Even without meat, the roux made the curry very rich, savory and complex. I was glad J enjoyed the curry very much. Actually it was much better than I expected. Maybe my Japanese curry memory was out of date.

Popular Posts