Cottage Cheese Soufflé Pancakes

These were Cottage Cheese soufflé Pancakes.

With stiffly beaten egg white meringue, the pancakes were just like delicate soufflé - impeccably fluffy, just melt-in-mouth. Inspired by a recipe from Washington Post, I developed my own recipe. To judge a right cooking time was a little bit tricky since my pancake batter built a good height. By using a lid and adjusting the heat level, I think I managed it somehow. And I was so happy with the results, both the taste and texture.

I enjoyed them with butter spread and maple syrup while some fruit compote like red-wine-poached pear or caramelized baked apple would be wonderful. I am sure there will be next time because I have bought into the idea to start a happy day with such fluffy cute pancakes.

Cottage Cheese Soufflé Pancakes
MAKES 12 in about 3 inch diameters

1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
3 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs low-fat milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 egg white
a pinch of sea salt
2 tbs sugar
a pinch of cream of tartar

1. In a bowl, whisk together cottage cheese, egg yolk, vanilla, oil and milk; shift flour over the cheese mixture and gently hold into.
2. To make meringue, in a different bowl, whip egg white and a pinch of salt until frothy; add 1 tbs sugar and cream of tartar and whip until stiffly; then add 1 tbs remaining sugar and whip until very stiffly.
3. Mix 1/3 of meringue into cheese mixture, and hold into the remaining meringue.
4. Heat a very-lightly oiled non-stick pan over medium-low heat, spoon about 1/3 cup batter to make a round pancake (I made four at once), cook with cover for 4 min, and uncover, flip, cook without cover for another 4 min. Repeat with the remaining batter while keep cooked pancakes warm under loose aluminum foil tent. Serve immediately with favorite toppings.

Popular Posts