Easter - Cherrry Blossoms Cake

After our Easter lamb dinner, the dessert was Cherry Blossoms Cake.

I wanted to try a new sponge cake recipe and make something to bring cheerful Spring breeze. I have seen how to make white chocolate roses on a lovely blog called Baking Obsession. I have never done that sort of cake decorations. I thought it would be fun. I was a child who loved playing with clay. 
This was white chocolate "clay." I had a picture of cherry blossoms on the cake canvas in my mind. I tinted the white chocolate with pale pink with dried beet powder and made tiny flowers.
I decorated each center of flowers with dried lemon peel. Also with Japanese green tea powder, I made some shoots. I piped melted dark chocolate to make branches. The cherry blossom tree that I created was pretty much close to my imagination.
Cherry blossoms in the sunset. It's dessert time!
I used my new tool to make "waves" around the cake, which J gave me last Christmas. I am glad I had a chance to try the tool!
I made two eight inch sponge cakes by following a recipe from a book by Japanese famous pastry chef, Ms. Rumi Kojima. The sponge gave a superb foundation- light, moist, delicate, melt-in-mouth, but sturdy enough to hold Kirschwasser syrup and support the weight of upper layers of cream and cakes. I sliced sponge cakes to make four layers and sandwiched lemon curd, raspberry mousse and lemon curd again between layers. I thought raspberry and lemon would be perfect flavors to this special occasion. And to make the "white canvas" on the top of the cake and cover the side, I made fluffy Mascarpone lemon cream by whipping Mascarpone cheese, lemon curd and whipped cream together. It was wonderful lemony creamy frosting as I expected.

Even though it was after the big lamb dinner, surprisingly everyone finished a large slice of cake with a cup of J's French press coffee. My goal was to make a dessert not only decorative to amuse eyes but also super tasty to satisfy taste buds. I feel I luckily met the goal.

Popular Posts