Hamburgu

This was Hamburgu, a popular dish in Japan.

Hamburgu is beef patty mixed with onion, bread crumbs, spices, etc. - something like meatloaf - cooked on a fly pan or in the oven, served with sauce like ketchup, Worcester sauce, red wine brown sauce, Japanese soy sauce-based Dashi sauce, grated Daikon radish sauce, etc... This time I used Hamburgu mix that I bought in Japan last year and served with handy A-1 sauce. So easy! The effortless Hamburgu tasted awesome.

Like Japanese curry, it is one of Japanese favorite dishes, especially for children. It could be eaten between buns like American hamburger while Japanese Hamburgu is traditionally served without buns but perhaps with steamed rice separately. I used to asked my mother to make Hamburgu for my birthday.    

The side dishes were steamed broccoli, fresh tomato and spätzle. Actually spätzle was appropriate because I heard that Japanese Hamburgu as well as American hamburger derives from tartar steak that was very popular in Hamburg, Germany in the 18th century, but somehow the name of Hamburgu was borrowed from the name of the city. Whatever was behind the history, we were happy with this meal. 

Popular Posts