Rogan Josh - Kashimir Lamb Curry

This was lamb curry with Basmati rice.

It was transformation of the leftover Lamb Shawarma from our Easter dinner. I researched multiple recipes of lamb curry; Rogan Josh, a classic red lamb curry in Kashimir, India caught my eye. Rogan Josh, meaning "oil -hot" in Persian, features its bright red color that comes from paprika and Kashmiri red chile pepper. I don't have Kashmiri pepper, but I do high-quality sweet paprika and J's hand-grown red chile peppers.

I could find several recipes for Rogan Josh online as well as one in an Indian cooking book on my bookshelf. Because of a lot of good comments on it, I adapted a recipe by Madhur Jaffrey’s Indian Cooking with many changes because my lamb has been already cooked. Interestingly, my Lamb Shawarma has been well-seasoned with all spices called for Rogan Josh. So, with some of these spices, I made some sauce to simmer the lamb. Along with Greek yogurt, I added diced fresh tomatoes and crushed tomato to the sauce although Rogan Josh usually doesn't call for tomato. I thought fresh tomato flavor would become a good friend of lamb's strong flavor. I also served the curry with chopped fresh cilantro for garnish. The curry was absolutely lovely! We enjoyed it as much as Lamb Shawarma.

Popular Posts