Tabbouleh

This was homemade Tabbouleh.

I followed a recipe from my JERUSALEM cookbook. This is a rare but great refreshing salad where parsley, which is usually a garnish, is the main ingredient. It was the first time for me to make Tabbouleh as well as cook bulgur wheat. Bulgur has great texture and is supposed to be very healthy. It must be fun to explore a new recipe with bulgur. Also I made Baharat spice mix by myself. It is said that Baharat simply means "spice" in Arabic and is commonly used in Lebanon, Syria, Palestine, and Jordan. Each spice in it - black peppercorns, coriander seeds, cinnamon, whole cloves, allspice, cumin seeds, cardamom pods, and nutmeg - is actually familiar to me, but the combination of the spices is new for me. Its warm spicy aroma from cinnamon and nutmeg is very pleasant. Since I made more than 1 teaspoon that I needed for Tabbouleh, I can play with the leftover Baharat more. I have had Tabbouleh at a pita sandwich store before, but honestly mine was much better!

Popular Posts