Café Sabarsky in NYC

After visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art, I thought it would be a great chance to take J to Café Sabarsky, a German/Austrian restaurant near the Met, which I have been interested in.

The restaurant was in Neue Galerie, a museum of the early 20th century German and Austrian art and design. There was a long waiting line outside of the museum. Although the line was for the museum, there was actually a long line for the restaurant inside of the building. We waited to get a table about almost one hour, I guess.

Finally we got a table! The inside of the restaurant was't large and tables were crowded, but I liked the old-European-looking decoration and wooden panel. I ordered sparkling apple strawberry juice and J had Glühwein - Hot spiced Red Wine, unsweetened, Orange & Cloves.
We shared two dishes as usual. It was a Viennese style cafe. Why not sausages, or Würste? There were three choices of sausages. We tried Käsekrainer mit Sauerkraut & Rösterdäpfel - Smoked Bratwurst stuffed with Cheddar Cheese, Riesling Sauerkraut, Roasted Potatoes and Dijon. It was nice indeed. I especially liked the potatoes.
And, J picked Hausgemachter Leberwurstaufstrich mit Zwiebel Marmelade - Housemade Liverwurst Spread with Onion Confit.  The liverwurst spread was light and tasty. The sweet onion jam was really good for this dish. Good choice, J!
Yes, as I said, it was a Viennese style cafe. How could I leave without a piece of cake with whipped cream? They had a good wide selection of desserts. It was a tough decision to pick one. I narrowed to three: classic Sachertorte, chocolate and hazelnut cake called "Klimttorte," or chocolate and rum cake called "Sabarskytorte." All three were chocolate cake. Which one should I choose? Those cakes were displayed on the sideboard. So I walked up there and looked at them.
Klimttorte won my heart (tummy)! Not too sweet, very chocolaty. And a big ball of whipped cream! I thought the cream wasn't whipped heavy cream, though. It tasted like dairy-free whipped cream, which was ok in this case because the cake was very rich.

The waiting time was too long but they provided a great dining experience in a cozy retro-room. After all I understood why many people like this place and wait to get a table.

Café Sabarsky
1048 5th Ave
New York, NY
http://www.neuegalerie.org/cafes/sabarsky

Popular Posts