Acorn-Shaped Financier with Calvados-Soaked Dried Fruits

These were Acorn-shaped Financier with Calvados-soaked dried fruits.

I made these petite French tea cake for my friend's birthday. It was a great opportunity to use a lot of frozen egg white in the freezer and my favorite Acorn mold.
My recent Financier has been made with dried apricot, which I thought was suitable for spring/summer. This time I wanted to add in Financier something to feel late fall, or the coming holiday season. So, by imaging holiday fruit cake, I soaked dried cranberries, dried apricots, dried currants, and candied citron in Calvados, or apple brandy overnight and mixed into Financier batter. The result was exactly like little holiday fruit cake with Financier's rich browned butter flavor. Later my friend told me he and his family members looked like squirrels sitting around eating the acorns. Funny!

Popular Posts