Cod Cakes in Tomato Sauce, again

These were cod cakes in tomato sauce, again!

I followed the same recipe and chose cod again instead of other kind of fish like halibut. I needed 1 oz of fresh parsley and cilantro each. 1 oz, or 30 g sounded not much. I didn't buy parsley. Although our garden parsley might be not enough, I could add some oregano to fill, so there would be no problem. I thought. I was wrong. I washed and dried a small bunch of cilantro and picked leaves from the stems, chopped them and carefully putting on a digital scale. The scale said 0 oz. I add more. It still displayed 0 oz. Was the scale broken? No, it wasn't. After I made a Mt. Everest of cilantro leaves on the scale, it finally reached 3/4 oz. I didn't remember how much herbs were in the cakes. I managed to make 1 oz of cilantro, whereas parsley and oregano mix I gathered from the garden wasn't even close to 1/2 oz. The cakes looked pretty much green anyway, so I thought we won't miss the vacancy of some parsley.
Making tomato sauce was easy. Searing both sides of the cod cakes was easy but made the entire house fishy-smoky. It would be worth. We knew that!
After simmered in tomato sauce for about 20 minutes, the cod cakes were beautifully done. Served with our fresh garden mint as a garnish, they tasted fantastic! J thought the last one was great but it was better than that. We enjoyed the cakes next day too. The original recipe says the cakes are almost better the day after they are cooked. Now the dish has officially become one of our favorite fish dishes.

Popular Posts