One-Pan Pasta

This was one-pot pasta.

As the name suggests, only a pot is required to fix the dish by cooking everything together. When I saw one-pot pasta's recipe on Food 52, I thought it would be interesting. The original recipe was apparently created by Martha Stewart and food communities and bloggers have adapted it. Interestingly the recipe is somehow controversial. Some says it works; other says awful. The later didn't stop me trying it. My question was whether I should follow the original recipe first to see how it works or I make some changes based on what people say. I did the later. I have seen several comments that pointed out the lack of flavors. I usually like a simple plain dish, but not too boring. I halved the amount of ingredients to serve two of us. I replaced some cherry tomatoes with dried tomatoes. Also I used 1 cup of chicken broth, 1 cup of water and 1/4 cup of white wine instead of 2 1/4 cup of water.
Before 9 minutes passed, almost all liquids disappeared but the pasta looked still a little hard. I reduce the heat to the low and covered the pan with a lid to steam the pasta for about 2 minutes.
By frequently stirring the pasta during the cooking, the pasta was nicely coated with smooth thick sauce made with its own starch and flavors from all the ingredients. At my first bite, I really wanted to say this was very good instead of TOO SALTY! That was totally my fault. I forgot to halve the amount of salt. Even any salt didn't need to be added because there were two salt sources: dried tomatoes and chicken broth. I should have realized 2 teaspoons of salt were too much because this method doesn't drain boiled pasta. J was so kind to say the salt level was the same as restaurants. However, I am very sensitive to saltiness and it wasn't eatable although I managed to finish my plate. The flavor and texture were great, though. It was very tasty. And ridiculously salty. I am so so so sorry!

Popular Posts