Tomato Zucchini Rice Gratin in 2015

This was Tomato Zucchini Rice Gratin in 2015!

It's one of my favorite summer dishes that I have made some last years. This time was a very special because I used zucchini and yellow squash that were picked up at a grocery store by J! I guess J was thinking of making a sautéed zucchini dish as a side, but these beautiful summer vegetables became a main dish. As usual, I adapted a recipe from Grommet magazine and made some changes. I skipped all eggs, added more zucchini, used beefsteak tomatoes, reduced garlic, doubled rice, mixed long grain rice and brown rice, tripled fresh thyme, and seasoned the rice mixture with yellow power mustard and Worcestershire sauce. For cheese I used only grated Parmigiano-Reggiano this time. I love bright colors of summer vegetables! And roasting is my favorite way to enjoy them.
Sweet roasted vegetables and cheesy rice were flavorful, and our fresh thyme outlined the whole dish. This will be the best herb summer for us.

Popular Posts