Chocolate Covered Baumkuchen from Germany

This is Baumkuchen, Tree Cake from Dresden, Germany.

As a big Baumkuchen fan, when I saw this chocolate covered German holiday cake baked by a fifth-generation Dresden confectioner at Williams Sonoma's website, which was on sale, I did a happy dance. Wait, Dresden is a hometown of Stollen. Tree cake, too?
It's time to cut!
Once he saw the slice, J screamed. It was wrong! The slice should have been a ring to show its beautiful "tree" rings. Oh-oh. Why did I do this?!
I really didn't think of anything when I sliced. Until J pointed it out, I didn't realize the cut was strange. I was in a simple out of mind condition. Anyway, next day I sliced the cake into a ring. Well, it couldn't make a complete doughnut-ring anymore.
The cake was... dry. I am used to moist smooth Baumkuchen made by Japanese confectioner, like Juchheim's, Kineya's and Jiichiro's. Also Japanese tree cakes have richer flavor in my opinion. It wasn't too bad. Chocolate cover was a nice tough. We finished the whole cake up after all. I wonder whether any original German Baumkuchen is usually dry like this or this was particularly drier than others. To find it out, shall we get another one from Germany? Or stick to one from Japanese. I am more lean on the latter.

Popular Posts