Quiche Lorraine

This was Quiche Lorraine.

The individual pie crusts that I originally made for my Banoffee pie project, which generated Banoffee shortcake after all, nicely presented these cute savory quiche. That was the right decision change, I think. I have made quiche, but usually with spinach. This was my first Quiche Lorraine. The timing was perfect. I had very tasty Gruyère cheese from Whole Foods. I also had nicely applewood smoked bacon from Neuske in the fridge!
The recipe I adapted was from an European baking book written by a Japanese pastry chef. It was very creamy, less eggy. The chef called it a Belgian style.
With a bowl of salad, the quiche became a lovely lunch/dinner. One looked small but was so rich that we didn't need second. Yet surprisingly it wasn't heavy at all. My image of Quiche Lorraine was bacon-egg-cheese heavy and salty. These little tasty pies proved I was wrong. Creamy cheesy filling with sweet onion and smoked bacon was actually elegant. Perhaps this petite size was right for this kind of dish, too. The leftover for next day was reheated well and tasted good as day before.

Popular Posts