Bettys' Mince Pies

Mince Pies have been displayed on store shelves in the town since later of October. Bettys offers not only Classic but also Frangipane and Ricciarelli. I know Frangipane, but what is Ricciarelli? "Ricciarelli are traditional Italian biscuit - specifically, a type of macaroon - originating in 14th century Siena," according to wiki. Actually when I saw some images of Ricciarelli, I was sure I have seen them before. It is said that they are traditionally given as Christmas gifts in Italy. I see, the combination of mince pies and Ricciarelli does make a sense.
All three were wonderful! They were flavorful without being too sweet. They were as delicious as  those from Country Fare Bakery while Bettys' looked more sophisticated. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard that people in England keep eating Mince Pies until Christmas. What a wonderful custom! I will be happy to follow.

Popular Posts