Tannin Level

We had a lunch at Tannin Level. Their philosophy is "Yorkshire on a plate," using the best local, seasonal ingredients. I have seen the similar statement from other restaurants in Harrogate. It's very good to see many restaurants appreciate and support local farmers.

For starter, I had soup of the day with toasted breads. It was honey roasted parsnip soup. Tasty!
J had salmon, leek and chive fishcake with dressed leaves and homemade tartare sauce. He didn't complain, which must be a good sign.
We both had Tagliatelle with Toulouse sausage, porcini and wild mushrooms and sautéed Covelo Nero as a main dish. Actually I didn't expect that it was cream-based pasta while it tasted nice. By the way, Toulouse sausage or Saucisse de Toulouse is a fresh sausage originating from Toulouse in the southwest of France. I guess the French-style sausage was made in Yorkshire, not imported from France, according to Tannin Level's philosophy. I will never know the truth...
I had a chance to order a dessert! Lucky me! J and I shared sticky toffee pudding and black treacle ice cream. The pudding was wonderful! It was as sweet as it was supposed to be, but I liked the texture of the cake and the deep caramel flavor of the sauce.
I didn't know what black treacle was at that time, and couldn't identify what it was while I was eating the ice cream. Later I learned that black treacle is a dark, sticky form of dark molasses and is used in many traditional British cakes and puddings. I see!
I enjoyed my lunch although J wasn't impressed by the foods. Maybe their dinner menu would change his mind?

Popular Posts