Homemade Kedgeree in England

My first homemade Kedgeree in England! I liked Kedgeree that I made in US before very much, which was light and simple while one at Bettys, which was rich and creamy was delightful. So, I tried to make one close to Bettys'. I didn't remember which rice Bettys used, basmati or long grain, I used long grain that I had in hand. I used some butter and double cream for richness although the output wasn't as rich/creamy as Bettys. That was fine, though. Probably, mine was healthier. I mixed raisins and toasted sliced almonds in the rice, which I found in Bettys. I liked the addition although J didn't care much. A poached egg on top instead of boiled egg was very nice.
Shopping smoked haddock was a little tricky. I could easily find yellow-dyed smoked haddock, but I wanted non-dyed smoked haddock since I read an article of The Telegraph that said "Traditionally, haddock is brined - soaked in salted water - then smoked over a wood fire, which gives the fish a pale yellow colour. Today, much of the dyed haddock is smoked using machinery instead of real smoke, then dyed with colouring to resemble the traditional version." At last I found non-dyed smoked haddock at M&S. I poached the fish with bay leaf. The fish was tasty and completed my Kedgeree. For a garnish, Parsley or cilantro was another question. This time I used cilantro like Bettys. I was happy with my creation!

Popular Posts