Light "Creste Di Gallo" Mac & Cheese

This was a light version of Mac & Cheese.

Following a recipe from Cook's Illustrated, the cheese part was light, I mean, lower fat by skipping all butter, flour and cream and using 50% of cheddar cheese, low-fat milk and evaporated milk. Yet the real special of the dish was "Mac" part. I used our new "Creste Di Gallo" pasta that we bought at Di Pasquale's, an Italian deli in Baltimore.
J picked these cute short tube pasta. Creste Di Gallo means “rooster crest.” I haven't found out the origin of the pasta or what kinds of sauce traditionally matches the pasta while I can imagine the cute ruffles and grooves of the pasta can hold any kinds of sauce nicely, including this creamy cheesy sauce.
The pasta was wonderful. The less fat sauce was rich and creamy sauce. According to J's request, I added some fresh thyme along with onion power, garlic powder, mustard powder, and our favorite pepper, Piment d'Espelette. Tasty & comfy!

Popular Posts