Nostos, revisited

We had another wonderful Greek dinner at Nostos in Northern Virginia with J's parents.

It has already pasted two years since our last visit, but we remembered we had a good time, so we choose the place to celebrate our birthdays. Yes, birthdays of four of us together! In the bread basket, I picked something like a sesame savory scone. I don't know what it was and might never know... It was good anyway. Then, our appetizers came to the table! We shared four dishes.

BIFTEKAKIA - greek style meatballs served with tzatziki. The meatballs were pretty big enough to share. They tasted delicious!
PANTZARIA FOURNOU - marinated beets topped with arugula, kefalograviera cheese with fresh mint and almonds. Beets salad is one of our favorite salad. The beets were nicely marinated with vinaigrette. Great choice!
HTAPODI - grilled octopus. One of their signature dish. This dish tells you how tender and tasty octopus is, and you will become an octopus lover!
HALOUMI SKARAS - grilled cypriot sheep and goat cheese, I think. I wasn't sure what J's father ordered, but I think this was it. Yum.
I felt we had already completed dinner after these appetizers. Non. Our entrees just arrived. J had one of the day's special: Grouper served over sautéed spinach and topped with grape tomatoes, capers, olives and spring onions. I tasted a little of it. Wow! Perfectly cooked and seasoned fish. This dish probably was the best of the day for me even though I could say everything was delicious.
J's mother picked PAIDAKIA - marinated, grilled lamb chops served with oven brown baby potatoes and vegetables of the day, which I had last time. She was very pleased with her choice, I believe!
J's father choose TRADITIONAL SAMPLER - dolma, spanakopita and baby eggplant papoutsaki with lamb chop. Although dolma apparently wasn't his favorite, I guess he enjoyed the rest of them.
Mine was KAKAVIA - tomato based seafood stew with potatoes, shrimp, p.e.i. mussels, kalamari and fresh daily fish topped with crusty bread. It tasted pretty good. It looked like a big bowl of soup, but actually just two big shrimps, one big scallop, a few fish fillet, and some mussels and kalamari. Plus, small chunk potatoes (my favorite part). So, the volume was manageable.
We liked this place very much again. Surely we will make our third visit in the future. Happy Tasty Birthday everyone and me!

Popular Posts