Albermarle Sweet Shop

During our last stay in NC, J's mother kindly took us to Albemarle Sweet Shop.

Actually we have been there a long time ago although I don't remember what we bought and how it was at that time. The old bakery must have been serving the community for years. Their baking goods - cookies and pastries didn't look fancy but homey.
They had old fashioned custard pies too. A good Southern tradition. Price for one pie was only $3! I wished I could try it, but we had a special pie for thanksgiving anyway. Perhaps next time. Instead we bought a sweet cream cheese danish, an apple danish, a sticky bun, and a spice cookie. The spice cookie immediately caught my eye and made me want to identify it.
The long cream-sandwiched cookie bar tasted like ginger bread; the filling was sugar cream. It was not bad. By the way I guess people in the US generally love colorful sugar frosting on cookies and cakes or sugar-based cream inside, which are not commonly seen at Japanese bakeries. I enjoyed the other pastries too. Danish weren't buttery, but fillings were tasty and fresh. Sticky bun was sweet and yes very sticky with a lot of pecans. Overall everything was't bad at all. I hope the shop will continue to satisfy people's sweet tooth in the cute little town.

Popular Posts