Cannoli Pound Cake

This was cannoli pound cake.

First I didn't know what cannoli pound cake meant when I found a picture of nice-looking cake on smitten kitchen. According to the blog and recipe, it was a cake that was baked with cannoli ingredients -  ricotta cheese, chocolate chips, lemon and orange zests, pistachio nuts, etc. I love cannoli. In this way, I can't enjoy the creamy filling, but as a cannoli lover, I was so curious about what this all-in-one cannoli cake would taste like. I reduced sugar to 1/3 of the original. I almost thought of replacing the regular sugar with healthier coconut sugar, but I wanted to keep the cannoli flavor clean without the deep caramel-like flavor of coconut sugar. The main fat (except ricotta) of the cake was olive oil, instead of butter. Since it seems that traditional cannoli shells are made with butter or lard and fried in vegetable/canola oil, olive oil is not nessesary to associate with cannoli. However, taste of olive oil is at least for me belongs to Mediterranean, so it was very appropriate.
It was just a kind of chocolate chip pound cake after all. Did the cake remind me of cannoli? Nope. Did I like the cake? Yes! There was nothing wrong with the taste. Will I make it again? Probably not. I will stick to traditional cannoli.

Popular Posts