Zitronensahnetorte

This was Zitronensahnetorte, German lemon cream cake.

I hadn't known lemony sweets are popular in Germany and any German cake shop sell cakes with lemon cream until I read my new German baking recipe book that I bought in Japan. I didn't associate Germany with lemon somehow, so it was a little interesting finding. I would like to confirm it by visiting at least seven bakeries in Germany. While I wait for such a time comes, I adapted a recipe from the book and made this light sponge cake with light lemon cream. The lemon cream was a mixture of whipped cream and a kind of lemon curd made with less eggs than usual French style lemon curd. I tapped a kirsch syrup into top and bottom sponges to make the cake moist, and served the cake with powder sugar snow on top as the recipe book did. I though of covering the cake with dark chocolate ganache or raspberry jelly, but kept it simple to make the lemon flavor shine. That was appropriate. The cake was delicate, light and lovely lemony.

Popular Posts