North Carolina BBQ tasting

During our visit in NC, we did BBQ tasting from two local BBQ stores in the town - Whispering Pines and Log Cabin.

Both were supposed to be Lexington style - pork shoulder section, served with a spicy "red" sauce and "red" slaw. We bought sliced (not pulled) cut and red slaw from both places and hush puppies from Log Cabin. Left was Whispering Pines'; right was Log Cabin's. They looked different from each other, didn't they?
Interestingly, both were really different in terms of taste and texture. I personally preferred Log Cabin because of their nice thick cut with smokey crust and fresh chunky slaw with clean taste. Overall, I thought their foods were fresher and higher quality.
Actually their hush puppies were my favorite of the day. They were the best hush puppies in my life so far!
It's always great fun to experience local traditional foods wherever I go. This BBQ tasting was definitely worthwhile! Thanks J's parents for making it happen!

Popular Posts