Asian Pears from Virginia Gold Orchard

These were Asian pears from Virginia Gold Orchard, a pear farm in Rockbridge County, VA.

Very juicy, very sweet Japanese pears were a real treat that I enjoyed every fall when I was in Japan. I had thought I won't find the same or similar pears here until I found great Asian pears at a local Wegmans store. They were very juicy and very sweet. Just like Japanese pears I remember. The pears were grown in VA according to the package. I searched the farm online and found out they don't have a mail-order service. Meanwhile, I found a different farm in VA that sell pears via online! Virginia Gold Orchard has about 2,000 Asian pear trees and over 25 different named varieties. When I ordered the box of pears, there were 4 or 5 kinds of pears available. According to their website, their pears are basically juicy and sweet no matter what type, but I wanted to make sure I would get very juicy, very sweet. I asked the farm to fill the box with more than one variety of "Very sweet and Very juicy" pears. The farm properly answered my request, hand-picking my pears and made a special box for me!
My box contained of 16 pears - two kinds of pears: Shinko (Japanese variety) and Autumn Sweet (Korean variety). Both were very juicy and very sweet; Autumn Sweet was even sweeter than Shinko. Asian pear everyday. What a wonderful life!

Popular Posts