Salisbury Steak & Roasted Turnips

This was Salisbury Steak and toasted turnips.

It was my second time to cook Salisbury steak. A reason to do so was to use the leftover red wine. I thought a good amount of red wine was needed to make the sauce. After I bought ground beef and some mushrooms, I checked the recipe again. I was wrong! Only two tablespoons of port was needed. Where did my misleading memory come from? At least the recipe said you can replace port with red wine. In fact, I used about 1/4 cup of red wine to justify my menu decision.
Another reason why I chose Salisbury steak was to use fresh turnips that we bought at Larriland Farm for a side dish. They were beautiful! Although mashed turnip is my usual way to deal with one of my favorite fall/winter root vegetables, this time I roasted them with fresh garden thymes and some garlic cloves.
The dinner was delightful. The steak with mushroom brown sauce was tasty and the turnip was just a right side. Roasting was another way to enjoy turnips now.

Popular Posts