Sweet Potato Pie

This was sweet potato pie.

We bought two beautiful sweet potatoes at Larriland Farm, Western Howard county, MD. I asked J what to do with them. He immediately said, "homemade sweet potato pie." That was a great answer.
After searching a recipe, I adapted one by Stella Parks on SeriousEats.com. I started making the crust a day before, resting the dough in the refrigerator overnight. In the next morning I pre-baked the crust. The buttery crust looked nice!
Actually just one sweet potato was more than what the recipe called for. So, I saved the other for a different purpose, which I don't know. I reduced the amount of cinnamon and nutmeg in the filling so that the pie won't be overly spiced and we can taste sweet potato. I also replaced sugar with Splenda and halved the amount. Cooking the filling - simmer potato in milk and cream with spices until the volume reduced to 3 and 1/2 cup - took forever... I hoped the effort was worth it.
Eventually, the filling was properly cooked and baked in the crust. Although the baking time was much longer than I thought, it was done by afternoon tea time.
The result was excellent! The gently spiced, modestly sweetened sweet potato filling was lovely, creamy, like smooth pudding. The crust was crisp, actually almost crunchy, which made a contrast with the velvety filling. No whipped cream was required.

Popular Posts