Battenberg Cake from YO Bakehouse in Malton


My first Battenberg (or Buttenburg) cake! The classic English cake, apparently named in honour of the marriage of Princess Victoria, a granddaughter of Queen Victoria, to Prince Louis of Battenberg in 1884, has been on my "must try English sweets" list. Now I can check it off although I am not sure whether this was an authentic one.


I bought the slice of Battenberg cake at YO Bakehouse in Malton. While I have seen Battenberg cake sometimes at a bakery or a grocery store, this was the largest one I have ever seen. The marzipan layer covering the cake was pretty thick. The "pink" blocks were almost red. The blocks of cakes were held together with butter cream instead of apricot jam.



It looked a quite different from what I had learned from books and Internet. It tasted pretty good, anyway. That's important. I might try another Battenberg cake somewhere else if I see one to understand the two-by-two check patterned cake a little bit better.

Popular Posts