First Homemade Raspberry Crumble Bars in England


My first homemade raspberry crumble bars in England! I didn't have any problems to gather all ingredients although the raspberry jam I bought was a problem. That was Wilkin & Sons seedless raspberry conserve. The level said "prepared with 70g of fruit per 100g." With the high percentage of fruit, the jam would be very fruity, I imagined. I was wrong. It tasted kinda dull. I added a lot of fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon zest. I saw a bit of improvement but wasn't fully satisfied. I added a couple of drops of orange extract. Almond extract might have added the jam a depth, but I didn't have it in hand. I told J my struggling with the jam. He suggested that I add a little of his port. Actually it sounded nice. In addition of port, I also added a bit of sherry. When I tasted the flavored jam, I wasn't still happy with it although I baked the bars with it anyway.


The result was surprisingly tasty. The jam layer was lovely fruity. The crust and the crumble were beautiful thanks to British butter that tasted much better than American butter. After all, the bars could be the best I have ever made.

Popular Posts