Greek Deli & Catering, again

This was a take-out dinner from Greek Deli & Catering in the DC again.

I had a chance to go to the downtown DC, so I picked up our dinner at this popular deli. J asked me to get Greek meatball platter, which we liked last time, Baked Moussaka platter and Spanakopita as a side. It was about 10 minute to 2 pm when I arrived at the deli. I guess the lunch rush crowd has been dismissed. Luckily no waiting line there. Meatballs were available but Moussaka and spanakopita were sold out. The casher recommended Baked Pastitsio, baked pasta dish layered with seasoned ground beef and bechamel sauce as an alternative of Moussaka. I accepted his recommendation. After I got one Pastitsio platter, there was only one more left. I should come here 11:30 am when they start serving lunch like the last time to get all what I would like without staying in a long waiting line.
The platter came with the big Greek salad. And some slices of bread too. Last time they gave me pita; this time thickly sliced loaf bread. Well, like the last time, we couldn't eat the bread after the big platter with the salad, vegetable and Orzo. The bread became our breakfast. The meatballs were nice again. Pastitsio was very good too. The bechamel sauce was smooth and creamy, ground beef was nicely seasoned, not oily or dry, and the pasta was silky tender, not dry or grainy or overcooked. Another nice surprise was vegetable. only just only green beans but also zucchini and giant Lima beans were included. I loved the Lima beans!  
Since we couldn't get Spanakopita, I bought a pack of Dolma. There was no space in my tummy for this side dish although J managed a few. And he finished the rest later. So I didn't taste it. According to J they were also good.
I couldn't come back without Baklava. Actually we made this piece to be a dessert on the next day because the massive volume of the dinner knocked me down. Still everything was delicious. Our next target will be baked Moussaka! Maybe it would be wise to just get only one Moussaka platter for two of us, and a piece of Baklava, of course. And perhaps Spanakopita and Lima beans (for me) as sides? Too much again?

Popular Posts