Osso Buco with Risotto alla Milanese

This was Osso Buco with Risotto alla Milanese.

It was my first time to cook Osso Buco, or "hole of bone," a Milanese speciality of veal shanks braised vegetables, white wine and broth. I saw a picture of Osso Buco in a cooking magazine or something not so long time ago and has kept it on my cooking wish list. My wish became true! Actually it was our first time to buy veal shanks. Wegmans had beautiful veal shanks. I adapted a recipe of Osso Buco by Cook's Illustrated, my trusted source. It wasn't difficult to cook at all. Browned veal shanks, sautéed vegetables (onion, carrot, celery), braised veal shanks with white wine and vegetables. And cooked 2 hour in the oven. Yes, simple. I cooked Osso Buco at home and brought it to our friends' house to have dinner together and celebrate one of friends' birthday. I borrowed their kitchen to cook Risotto alla Milanese, which is traditionally served with Osso Buco. I reheated Osso Buco and mixed in Gremolata, a mixture of fresh parsley, lemon zest and fresh garlic, just before serving.
Our friends knew how to bring my Osso Buco and risotto to a higher level: the wife who is an excellent baker, baked a beautiful loaf of Italian bread for this dinner. Also she added some shaved black truffle on the risotto. And the husband provided a bottle of red wine that was perfectly matched to Osso Buco. I hope everyone enjoyed the dinner like I did!

Popular Posts