Smoked Salmon on Cheese & Chive Scone

Here was again smoked salmon.

There was a little of leftover smoked salmon but no bagels. So I baked cheese and chive scones. I made larger scones than usual so that they could hold smoked salmon securely.
With or without eggs in scones is one of debating points I have seen online. It seems without eggs is more traditional. The original Scottish scone recipe that I have been using years is egg-free and the result is always wonderful. Some people say scones with eggs are more caky. Even some say better flavor with egg. I like tender crumble scones, but not caky or spongy. Still who doesn't like better flavor? I wanted to make the scones less crumbly less tender this time. Then I added just one yolk (and used egg white to brush the top), hoping it would become a binder. The scones wan't too crumbly or too tender. Good! Yet I wasn't sure the texture was because of the yolk. Also I didn't know if the yolk made a big (or small) difference in terms of flavor. I wish to know the answer...  

Popular Posts