Fish Pie with English Peas

This was fish pie with peas.

We were going to watch a BBC's "Sherlock" special over dinner, we thought what British meal could be served for the occasion. We flipped a couple of cookbooks, including "A Baker Street Cookbook" that is all about Victorian English cookery, Williams Sonoma's "London," and Gordon Ramsay's "Cooking for Friends." We made a decision - Fish Pie! London as well as Gordon had a recipe, so I adapted some parts from both. We didn't use any smoked fish, which some say is traditional. Our fish pie had cod, monkfish, shrimp and scallop.
I adapted London's recipe for cream sauce, which was gently flavored with a bay leaf, parsley springs and peppercorns. No shallot or fish stock that Gordon called for. Gordon also added Dijon mustard. I thought it was a good idea although I forgot to add it.
Mashed potato recipe was from Gordon. I have made his mashed potato topping for Shepherds pie more than three times and I liked it very much all the time. He used the same recipe for his fish pie. A small change I made was mixing chopped fresh chive in mashed potato. I like drawing on the surface of mashed potato. This time I created a pattern of wave. It could be fish scale.
Sprinkle some parmesan cheese and bake! Our onion soup dish was a perfect size.
Tiny sweet English peas was apparently a favorite side for fish pie. Gordon recommended a buttered spinach, which J didn't care for. I cooked frozen baby peas, and seasoned them with butter, fresh mint and fresh tarragon. A little of salt and pepper, too. It was done in 5 minutes!
A sneak peek. Hello, steamy creamy sauce!
Our fish pie was lovely. The green peas were a good side too. I enjoyed both very much. J thought the sauce of the pie was a little bland. Still, when we had another pie next day, he said the pie's favor was melted and better. The pie kept in the refrigerator was easily reheated. I am very glad to find a great alternative to Shepherds pie!

Popular Posts