Rye Bread with Cottage Cheese & Dill

This was rye bread with cottage cheese and dill.

When I am puzzled to thing a way to finish up a big bunch of fresh dill, J always suggests me to bake bread with it and I hadn't followed it. This time I did. Finally. I found several recipes of cottage cheese and dill bread, which sounded interesting. I picked a recipe with a beautiful photo. I followed the recipe, halving every ingredients to make just one loaf instead of two. I made a mistake. I missed halving sugar. When I realized it, it was too late. I wished the bread would be still edible. One change I made was swapping about 1/3 of bread flour with rye flour to add a little depth of flavor.
Because of a lot of cottage cheese, the dough was so sticky, messy, difficult to handle. Glad to see the runny dough somewhat turned into a solid bread. The crust was lovely hard crunchy. I liked it. The crumb was soft and very spongy. Unfortunately that wasn't J's favorite. At least the bread wasn't too sweet. J didn't complain it. I would categorize the bread in a "savory" group. Next time when I make dill-bread, I will look for a non-spongy recipe.

Popular Posts