Kirshkuchen

This was Kirchkuchen, or cherry cake.

I have been enjoying trying a recipe from my german baking recipe book! This cherry cake was just like a traditional pound cake but very moist because of a good amount of almond flour. It's winter, so fresh cherries are not easily available now. I used a can of sour cherries. No problem. The recipe called for a tablespoon of Amaretto. I have various liquors for baking and cooking, but haven't owned Amaretto in my life. What a shame! I used a tablespoon of Kirsch and a few drops of almond extract this time while I wrote down Amaretto on my future shopping list.
The cake was lovely! Very light and moist. I replaced all refined sugar on the recipe with healthy coconut sugar, so the cake was in brown color. Of course, it's German cake, which means whipped cream should be on the side! I respect the whipped cream culture very much; therefore, I made a big mountain of whipped cream for me and J. Actually the cake was super with whipped cream. So, the accompany of whipped cream was not a ritual but a technical necessity.

Popular Posts