Caramelized Onion Sourdough Biscuits

These were caramelized onion sourdough biscuits.

It was a time to feed sourdough starter. I was going to make J's favorite sourdough biscuits with extra unfed starter, but changed my mind a little bit. Instead, I adapted a recipe of caramelized onion sourdough biscuits by King Arthur Flour. The basis of the recipe was the same as KAF's original sourdough biscuits. Adding caramelized onion and fresh chive was a twist. It sounded like a not much change, but a required workforce was quite different. Caramelizing onion took almost one hour! It was because I didn't use brown sugar but simply slowly cooked onion. Without the sugar help, eventually onion was caramelized by its own sugar molecules. In this way, the biscuits won't taste too sweet, which I thought J won't like although my legs got tired by standing in the pan and checking the onion for such a long time. Oh well, all is for J (and myself).
Our chives were nicely growing back in the planter on the deck after this relatively mild winter. I was happy to use a lot of them in these biscuits. A happy spring!
They were very good. Very onion-y!

Popular Posts