Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes

These were vegan chocolate cupcakes.

It was a day when I wanted to bite something caky and creamy. The LU dark chocolate cookies that we had in the drawer were not qualified to meet my desire. Caky and creamy sounded like a cupcake. I haven't been keen on the cupcake boom in these years, but that doesn't mean I don't like cupcakes. I will like them if they are tasty without being sugary or heavy. I am not a big fan of sugar frosting. No matter how fancy it is decorated, I don't like it. It's just sugar. I am a whipped cream person. When I was almost giving up launching a cupcake project, I just remembered a recipe that I have been interested in - the Best Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes by Minimalist Baker, one of my favorite food blogs.
The recipe said "Fluffy, Moist, Cakey, Super chocolate-y, Perfectly sweet, Undetectably vegan and gluten free, Simply AMAZING." It sounded too good to be true. I ran to a local grocery store to buy unsweetened apple sauce. The recipe originally called for beet puree, but butternut squash, applesauce, or another hearty fruit puree could be used instead. I used coconut sugar instead of cane or granulated sugar. I used all purpose flour for both gluten free oat flour and gluten free flour blend, so my cupcakes were not gluten free. For the frosting, I used only 1/4 of the amount of powder sugar and added a few teaspoons of rum. The recipe was for 11 cupcakes. I halved the recipe to make 5 or 6. At the end, I was able to divid the batter into seven.
The result was very good! The cake was lovely moist and light. The frosting was rich but airy and chocolaty. I was very happy with the output. I am sure I will make them again. Next time I will do better in terms of the frosting decoration.


Popular Posts