Kolache from Republic Kolache

These were Kolache from Republic Kolache at Union Market.

I was so excited to know I could get Kolache at Union Market now! My first encounter with Kolache was an article of Saveur several years ago. It was interesting to know a Czech pastry is so popular in Texas. Sweet little buns that hold a dollop of cream cheese, poppy seeds, or fruit jam - how couldn't I like them? Back then, I thought I would make some by myself, but it hasn't happened yet. Luckily I got an opportunity to try some made by Texan expats who started Republic Kolache to bring real good Texas-style kolaches to DC!
I picked four kinds of Kolache - poppy seed and cherry & cream cheese for sweet; and chorizo & egg and smoke sausage for savory. I reheated them at home in the oven toaster and we shared all by cutting each in half as usual. Everything was nice! I loved both of sweet Kolache. They were wonderful! I could eat a whole of both alone. Chorizo & egg was tasty, too. I don't mind buying one again for a savory option. We both agreed that smoke sausage was less flavor, so it would be our least pick. Will I buy more Kolache from the shop again? Yes, I will when we go back to Union Market. Or, I will make my own Kolache, most likely with sweet fillings.

Popular Posts