Pan-fried Herb Chicken Breast Sandwich with Whole Wheat Bread

This was pan-fried herb chicken breast sandwich with whole wheat bread.

Another chicken dish! Yet chicken wasn't first. Bread was first. It was a sourdough starter feeding day, so I was thinking of baking a kind of bread with the extra unfed starter. A question was what kind of bread would be. J likes whole wheat, so whole wheat bread sounded like a right pass. Should I use our new bread machine? I did so before. I wanted to do something new. How about a Pullman loaf with whole wheat that I had never made? Here was the result.
Then chicken followed the bread. Originally I was going to make simple tomato cucumber and the leftover French cheese, Port Salut sandwiches and a small cup of soup of broccoli or something like that. However the day was hot like summer. Soup didn't sound attractive. To make sandwich as a full dinner with perhaps some kind of protein, I went to a grocery store and came back with a package of chicken breasts. Yes, I am not a chicken fan, but I didn't want heavy meat like pork or beef and I wasn't sure if J would be happy to see pan-fried Tofu between bread. I would, though. So, lean chicken breast was somewhere in the middle of all. Plus, these individually cleaned and neatly air-tight packaged chicken breasts are less handling and doesn't taste so bad, which I have been buying recently sometimes.
I marinated chicken breasts with garlic, fresh thyme, black pepper, Sake, Mirin, olive oil and lemon juice for a couple of hours, and pan-fried them.
On sandwich bread, I spread Dijon mustard and placed cheese, cucumber, tomato along with chicken. The sandwiches were great, I thought at the first bite. Then, in 10 seconds later, I tasted something unexpected... The whole wheat bread was somehow bitter. With all sandwich stuffs, the bitterness was almost masked but not all. Certainly I detected it. The bread was still editable; next time when I bake whole wheat bread, I should remember to use the orange juice trick.

Popular Posts