Saison Wafel Bar @ Union Market

We went to Union Market again!

This time J's parents joined us. Just a few days before we came to Union Market, I happened to receive a news letter from Zagat, titled "10 Must-Try Eats at Union Market." What a good timing! Zagat must have known we were going there soon. A relatively new shop, Saison Wafel, a Belgium Wafel bar, was one of the ten - "The early frontrunner is the sweet Liège version topped with strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate sauce ($6). It’s yeasty, rich and packs a pleasant crackle thanks to pearl sugar." I was sold! It would be one of my targets. When we got the market, we were surprised at how crowded there was! So many people everywhere, making a long line at many shops. Well, it was just around the lunch time. After looking for a table for a while, luckily we managed to find one outside. J stopped me going to a fish store where had a long waiting line. Ok, no Tuna poke for me this time. On the other hand, the Wafel shop didn't have a waiting line. So, I ran to the shop to get a dream Wafel.
J, who also gave up getting Chicken Tacos at TaKorean, another popular shop with a long waiting line, asked me to get a savory Wafel item for him so that he would watch the table where he was supposed to meet his parents. So, I ordered mine and his pastrami(?) Wafel. It took a little time to get those items. Apparently there was a miscommunication between a guy A who took my order and another guy B. First B fixed a banana Wafel and passed me it. No, it was an order for a lady who was standing by me. Next he was going to pass me pastrami Wafel and smoked salmon Wafel. Ok, I got pastrami Wafel. I don't know where the salmon's destination was. Then, A said something to B and started to fix my strawberry Wafel. Ok, I received my strawberry Wafel. I was surprised because there was tiny one Wafel. Somehow I expected to get 2 Wafels. Never mind. That was my misunderstanding. By the way, there was another guy C who looked like checking what A and B were doing. I think he was the founder of this shop who was the former executive chef to the Belgian Ambassador. Anyway, finally with the correct Wafels, I ran through the crowds, back to our table. Mine was small but fine, not WOW, though. Honestly I have had a lot of much better Liege-style yeasty sweet waffles in Japan. J's looked nice, but he confessed later it wasn't good. That was sad to hear. Oh well, at least I successfully checked the shop off on my Union Market list.

Popular Posts