Spicy Lentil & Chestnut Casserole with Venison/Pork Sausages


One of many last Christmas gifts from J was a cookbook that he got at F&M in London. The theme of the cookbook is Christmas & Other Winter Feasts. Photos and illustrations in the book are wonderful. The first recipe from the book that I tried was Spicy Lentil & Chestnut Casserole with Venison Sausages. The photo looked nice and as a chestnut lover, I liked the recipe that called for chestnuts. The dish was one of several for Guy Fawkes Night in the book but I couldn't wait for this November.


The recipe said that venison sausages would be ideal but any decent pork would do fine. I couldn't find venison sausages but venison and pork sausages at a local Waitrose. The mix sausage worked well anyway since I wasn't sure if I liked 100% venison. On the other hand, Puy lentil was a kind of lentil that the recipe called for. It was easy for me to find the French green lentil at any grocery stores here, which used to be sometimes difficult to do so in the US.


The dish was seasoned with cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and cooked with garlic, ginger and tomatoes. It was just like a curry dish. It was nicely spiced and aromatic without any chili heat. The dish was pretty good. Sausages were tasty and meaty without being greasy or gamy. Lentils were hearty. Plus, chestnuts were a great addition to provide a nice texture and a sweet bite. I could see it to be a comfort food in a chilly winter evening.


I didn't forget to serve it with greens. I mixed roasted potato and pumpkin with kale, feta cheese and toasted pine nuts, seasoning with simple homemade vinaigrette. It was petty good and went well with the lentil and sausages. The dinner looked festive. We felt as if a holiday season was already here.

Popular Posts