House of Waffles in Bruges


Since we came to Belgium, we hadn't had a chance to try waffles. It was a big matter for me! In Bruges, we just happened to be in front of House of Waffles, a restaurant that is specialized in making and serving Belgian waffles. The name was too straightforward, which reminded me of IHOP, an American multinational pancake house restaurant chain. I have not been IHOP because I am not interested in such a big name chain. Well, the House of Waffles wasn't a chain; it seemed like a pure local business. According to its logo, it was established in 1929 although I couldn't find any history of the business and the place looked like a modern cafe. The restaurant has received many excellent reviews so far. It was time to make my Belgian waffle dream come true finally.


There are two kinds of Belgian waffles: Brussels style (rectangular, light, crispy, airy) and Liege style (oval, rich, dense, chewy, sweet with a sugar-caramelized surface). I chose Brussels style so that I could enjoy toppings along with waffles. Like many other customers, I had fresh strawberries and whipped cream with waffles. The waffles were super light. With the toppings, I was satisfied with my first waffles in Belgium, but honestly it was just as good as my homemade ones. Glad to know my waffle machine and waffle batter recipe were outstanding!


Some call Bruges the Venice of the North. Bruges' canals were not massive or complex like those in Venice but definitely a part of the town's charm. It was a warm winter day. We saw canal tour boats packed with tourists passing sometimes. It was Monday; all museums in the town were closed. That wasn't a problem at all. Bruges is also described as an open-air museum. Staying outside was great, especially on such a beautiful sunny day.






Getting dark and lighting on. Good night, Bruges.



To be continued...

Popular Posts