Aushak & Kadoo

These were Aushak and Kadoo, Afghan dumplings and Afghan braised pumpkin.

I adapted recipes from a great website called Afghan Culture Unveiled - rich culture, delicious food and stories from Afghanistan. The website generously provides authentic Afghan cooking recipes along with lovely pictures and interesting stories about their country that had been unfamiliar to me.

I made Aushak before, which was a vegetarian version and pretty good. This time I followed the website's recipe, using ground lamb, but only half of the amount that the recipe called for.

The dumpling filling was only sauteed scallions, not leek included this time. Boiled dumplings, topped rich and warm spiced lamb sauce and garnished with yoghurt and fresh mint (the recipe called for dried mint though), Aushak was very good!!

I also made Kadoo with butternut squash, following the same website's recipe. We sometimes order Kadoo as a side dish of Kebabs when we go to an Afghan restaurant and especially I, a pumpkin lover, enjoy the sweet treats. Kadoo made by myself was much better than those from restaurants! It was an advantage of home-cooking that I could adjust the level of sweetness (I used Splenda instead of sugar.) and I appreciated clean freshness from all fresh ingredients.

Wonderful!

Popular Posts