Eggplant Caviar Spread Ikra

This was Eggplant Caviar Spread Ikara by Zergut.

We found the Bulgarian vegetable spread at a Middle Eastern market in Rockville. We had a similar product by a different brand from a different country before. The taste was different but I liked this one as well as the other. In fact the taste of this spread reminded me of the lunch at a restaurant in the Hankyu department store in Osaka, Japan. When I was around 4 - 8 years old (I think), my parents took me and my sister to the art class for kids on Sunday mornings. The class was held in the department store. After the class, we usually had a lunch at a restaurant in the department store. I often had a "kid's plate." This spread tasted just like something in the kid's plate. Perhaps, meatballs or spaghetti... I don't remember. I also don't remember which restaurant in the department store served the plate because there were at least three restaurants that we had a lunch at in turn. Those restaurants don't exist anymore, so I don't have a clue. I was fond of the taste when I was little and obviously I do still now although there is also a possibility that this spread actually tastes different from what I ate back then. But interestingly my vague memory of the old lunch experience somehow has linked with the taste of this spread from Bulgaria. Honestly I appreciate this mysterious discovery will never be clear because it's only in my mind, never be right or wrong, always a precious memory that never changes, and will be the only truth. I would like to keep my memory in that way. I am glad there was no digital picture or records at that time. I respect intangible things that will be with me together forever.

Popular Posts