Macaroni & Cheddar with Ham, Pea & Shallot.

This was Macaroni and Cheddar with Ham, Pea and Shallot.

There was leftover extra sharp cheddar cheese I wanted to use up. I also had frozen ham in the freezer. This was an efficient dish with ingredients I have already had. So, no grocery trip in a hot summer day would be required. I adapted a recipe of Everyday Lighter Macaroni and Cheese by Cook's Illustrated with some changes as usual. I didn't have a can of reduced fat evaporated milk, so used a whole fat evaporated milk. My cheese was only 3 or 4 oz, just a half of what the recipe said. But the recipe used 8 oz of 50% lighter cheddar. Mine was full fat. I guess the fat level would be the same. I added about 1 and a half cup of cut ham, about 1 cup of pea, and 1 shallot lightly sautéed with fresh thyme. Also I added a pinch of paprika along with yellow mustard powder and garlic powder. Since I added extra ingredients, I added extra low-fat milk too.
The topping of Pan-toasted bread crumbs with parmesan cheese and black pepper was a nice addition. Actually I found the bread crumb mixture in the freezer. I believe it was some leftover topping of eggplant parmesan I cooked in the past. I loved this convenience dish and J liked it very much. Win-win!

Popular Posts