Zucchini & Red Onion Quiche

This was zucchini quiche.

Talking about quiche, I usually make spinach quiche. We both like it. But I wanted to make something different. Quiche Lorraine? A little heavy and less veggie. One of the typical summer vegetables, zucchini popped up in mind after I saw zucchini bread recipe in the latest Cooks Illustrated magazine. We haven't eaten zucchini this summer yet unless J was secretly snacking zucchini at the office... No way! I adapted the recipe of spinach quiche with some changes. Replacing spinach with zucchini of course. I used three small-medium zucchinis, shredded them instead of slicing, squeezed them and sautéed them to get rid of moisture as much as possible. Also I replaced green onions with red onion that was waiting in the refrigerator to be used. I sautéed red onion with shredded zucchini. For cheese, my selection was mild smooth muenster. Also I spread Dijon mustard on the crust like Cauliflower & Caramelized Onion Tart to add another dimension.
It looked nice indeed. What I said after my first bite was "SO Sweet!" Sautéed zucchini and red onion became way sweet. Of course I didn't add any sugar or sweeteners. Although it was tasty, it was too sweet for me (and J, I believe). Well, Zucchini, sorry but nothing wrong with you! Maybe red onion was a bad guy.

Popular Posts