Apple Date Cake with Caramel Glaze

This was Apple Date Cake with Caramel Glaze.

I adapted a recipe from David Lebovitz's blog. It was "Apple Date Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze", but I didn't add extra salt, so I shall omit "Salted" from my title. The recipe called for granulated sugar (150g) and light brown sugar (60g). It sounded a lot! I skipped all granulated sugar and added only brown sugar. Dates are pretty sweet. Apple sauce is simply sweet. The caramel glaze must be very sweet. I was sure we won't miss any sweetness with less sugar in the cake dough. Of course, I found out I was right later.
It was easy to make caramel glaze by myself, but it took long time to bring it down to just above room temperature, which was supposed to be spreadable. It was spreadable indeed but quite runny. I was afraid that most of caramel glaze was going to be pooled on the tray without leaving much on the top I quickly placed the plate in the refrigerator, hoping caramel sets and coats all over the surface of the cake.  
Well, I learned this kind of caramel doesn't set in the refrigerator at least within 30 minutes. I found some caramel overflowed from the plate, which made a little mess in the refrigerator.
I could forget about the caramel incident because the pair of the nicely spiced cake and the gooey and rich caramel glaze was wonderful. J and I enjoyed a couple of slices after dinner with a little cup of coffee.

Popular Posts