Chicken Pot Pie, again

This was chicken pot pie, again!

There were two small chicken breasts in the refrigerator, which I had to do something with very soon. First I thought of pan-frying them to make cutlets or cutting them into small to make a kind of quick stir-fried dish, but either case would create just one dinner. My hope was to turn the chicken into at least two day meal. An idea pinged into my head. Chicken pot pie. I haven't made it for a while. It would be lovely for a chilly early spring evening. Like the last time, I adapted a recipe for chicken filling from Cook's Illustrated's Chicken Pot Pie with Savory Crumble Topping and made a couple of changes. I used only two small chicken breasts while I increased mushroom to 16 oz. Instead of cremini mushrooms, I used white mushrooms that were only available at my local grocery store. I also added a bay leaf and some Penzey's Italian herb mix - oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme and rosemary.
I made four individual pots but baked just two this day. I kept the rest in the refrigerator without covering with pie dough for next day.
Cover the pots with homemade pie dough that I made by following a recipe of Ina Garten's chicken pot pie's pastry like the last time, and apply egg wash. I also sprinkled Parmesan cheese on the top. I knew J would like it!
Ta-da! Beautiful golden top.
The chicken pot pie was superb! Both the pie part and the filling were so delicious. We just had to be careful to eat the dish, though. It was extremely hot! I should have remembered it: sadly I burned my tongue again.

Popular Posts