Tofu Bulgogi on GABA Brown Rice

This was Tofu Bulgogi on GABA brown rice.

I realized I haven't used a new jar of Gochujang that I came back with from my last trip to Japan. Gochujang is "a savory, spicy, and pungent fermented Korean condiment made from red chili, glutinous rice, fermented soybeans, and salt" according to wiki. I made Pork Bulgogi before and J seemed to like it. I wanted to make a veggie dinner this time, so I made up Tofu Bulgogi with Tofu, some vegetables and the Bulgogi sauce that I made with the new Gochujang. The result was pretty good. I served Tofu Bulgogi with GABA brown rice. My new rice cooker that J gave me on my birthday has a function to activate brown rice for increased nutritional value.
With the function, "GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), a naturally occurring nutrient in brown rice, increases to 150% of the amount contained in non-activated brown rice," according to the rice cooker. It is said that GABA can lower blood pressure and relieve stress. Also, GABA brown rice is nicely softer than non-activated brown rice. I have used the function a couple of times and love the texture of activated-brown rice. It would be great if we can get such benefits by eating healthy deliciously cooked brown rice. To make GABA brown rice, it takes about 3.5 hours; I have to remember to start cooking brown rice much earlier so that the rice is ready for dinner in time.

Popular Posts