Bread with a Huge Dent

This was my bread machine bread that came out with a huge dent on the top.

I asked J what kind of bread he would like this time. He said "Surprise me." I made our usual simple French bread with sourdough starter, replacing some bread flour with whole wheat and King Arthur Flour's ancient grains flour blend. Because of the changes, I also added a small amount of vital wheat gluten for structure and a little bit of diastatic malt powder for flavor. I might have added a little more yeast than usual. By playing with these ingredients like a mad scientist, I must have messed up the balance among water, flour, gluten and yeast. The depth of the dent shocked me.
Although the bread was a little dense, its taste wasn't bad at all actually. When I sliced the bread, the cross section looked like a bunny face. After all, the scary dent created something cute. However, I try not to meet the bunny face again.

Popular Posts