Cream Tea #1 @ Jennys Tea Shop

It was in the mid-September last year. J was out of the town. I wondered how to optimize my own time. I had an idea. A good one. Something J wouldn't miss. Cream tea tasting.

Cream tea: "In Britain, a cream tea is an afternoon meal that consists of tea to drink and small cakes called scones that are eaten with jam and cream." (Collins Dictionary)

I chose Jennys Tea Shop as my first tasting venue. It was a tiny tea room hidden in the Montpellier Mews Antique Market. Inside of the shop was crowded about 7-8 small round tables while outdoor seating was an option.
It was a cute place to spend a part of afternoon. I squeezed myself into a narrow seating space with a window table near the door, ordering "scone, jam and cream" from their menu along with Yorkshire tea.

My scone was warmed up, sliced, covered with sugar dust, and decorated with a few fresh berries. The scone, which was plain, was amazingly light and tasty. The portion of cream and jam was generous. What I loved was the texture of cream - very airy and literally melt-in-mouth. It was whipped, perhaps. The jam was just a jam. Jelly-like smooth jam, not a chunky-whole-fruit kind. Nothing special, I thought.

Overall, the set of scone, jam and cream was fairly good. One thing I didn't like was the sugar dust on the scone. That made my scone unnecessary sweeter and hard to handle neatly. My hand, lip, chest as well as the table were messy with sticky sugar. Next time I will request my scone without snow.

Popular Posts