Polentoni in Edinburgh

We stopped by at Polentoni, a little Italian cafe in Edinburgh for our early dinner. I thought it was a restaurant that specialized in polenta as the name suggests. Actually, there weren't many polenta dishes on their menu. Was I somehow misinformed? However, there was a dish with polenta - fried polenta with smoked mozzarella, roast mushroom and a poached egg, which we ordered. The dish was nice, but we would prefer creamy soft polenta to crunchy oily polenta.
Maybe I was just too tired to taste anything. After the lovely tea time at Lovecrumbs, we climbed Arthur's Seat, an ancient volcano, situated just to the east of the city centre of Edinburgh.
J was a navigator. I followed him. The path was rocky and steep with unstable, slippy, irregular stones. Later I learned that this particular path was called "Gutted Haddie" as it resembles a gutted haddock. It was supposed to be a direct route to the southern top called Nether Hill or the Lion's Haunch, while stepping the zigzag path was challenging for me. Plus, it was super windy. Probably the strongest winds in my life. I imagined that I would be blown off into the sky. Seriously.
Fortunately I survived and reached Nether Hill. Well, it wasn't the real peak. Arthur's Seat was the top of the hill over there...
Sorry J. He wanted to get to Arthur's Seat. However, I was totally frozen and absolutely exhausted in the cold, stormy winds at that point and couldn't make it. The spectacular panorama view from Nether Hill was our rewards.
We took a different path to go down. This was much smooth and comfortable!



Finally we were at the ground level. It was a remarkable way to experience Edinburgh. I won't forget the brutal winds! To be continued...

Popular Posts